[U-Boot] U-Boot git usage model

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Thu Oct 11 20:13:33 CEST 2012

On 10/11/2012 12:16:58 PM, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:54:46 -0500, Scott Wood
> <scottwood at freescale.com> wrote:

> > > tags, and
> must
> > > not
> author(s).

> original
> > > author
> the
> > > patch,
> part
> > > of
> > >
> > > No, it isn't. IIUC, U-Boot's "Signed-off-by" is supposed to mean
> "I
> > > am (one of) the autor(s) of this patch".
> >
> > Is this documented anywhere?
> >
> > http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/DevelopmentProcess says, "U-Boot has
> > adopted the Linux kernel signoff policy".
>
> Please do read the Linux kernel signoff policy as laid out in
> Documentation/SubmittingPatches.

You want me to read the Linux policy for documentation of how U-Boot
deviates from Linux policy?

> Branch or subsystem maintainers should
> add their Signed-off-by only if they made modifications to the
> original
> patch in the process of applying it.

That's not what it says.

> Then read http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Patches: "the Signed-off-by:
> is a line at the end of the commit message by which the signer
> certifies that he was involved in the development of the patch and
> that
> he accepts the Developer's Certificate of Origin (see
> SubmittingPatches).
>
> In U-Boot, we typically do not add a Signed-off-by: if we just pass on
> a patch without any changes".

Thanks.  FWIW I think putting policy documents in a wiki, without any
guidance on who's supposed to edit it or how changes get approved, is a
bad idea.  Why not put policy documents in the git-managed source
tree?  And changes would be
proposed, discussed, and accepted/rejected like any other change.  Plus
there'd be at least a chance of a commit message showing rationale.

In any case, if this is the policy, we should not be saying that we
follow the Linux policy.

> (the "Certificate of Origin" is laid out in the "SubmittingPatches"
> documentation file from Linux)
>
> > Actual behavior is probably inconsistent between custodians.
>
> I haven't seen such inconsistency and certainly don't want to see any,
> at least in ARM trees from which I have to pull.

I've been signing off patches I apply to the NAND tree.  I recall
stopping at one point in the past because someone complained, and then
starting again -- not sure if someone else complained about doing it
*that* way, or if I just noticed others doing it.

Looking through the history I see others that seems to be doing the
same (outside ARMland), though I can't say for sure without
investigating whether the patch was "passed on without any changes" in
each instance.

-Scott