[U-Boot] Specifying flash page sizes

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Fri Sep 7 00:08:27 CEST 2012

On 08/29/2012 03:48 AM, Ellis Andrew wrote:
> Hi
>

> I have been using uboot to with a number of devices

Using U-Boot to do what with a number of devices?

> which have a 256
> byte page. Currently I'm using a device with a 512 byte page. I have
> had problems getting Linux to run on my system, the initial problem
> was caused by the flash drivers in linux specifying a page of 256
> bytes and not 512. I am still having numerous issues with Linux, and
> I'm wondering whether it is because the kernel flash images are not
> being programmed correctly? Ho do I specify the flash page size in
> uboot source code? I've not been able to find how to do that.

What kind of flash are you talking about?  NOR? NAND? SPI?

I'm not too familiar with SPI flash, but NOR flash has much larger erase
blocks than that (and no pages for read/write), and 256-byte-page NAND
chips are listed as "museum" pieces in the code.

Or do you mean some sort of compact flash with integrated controller,
that looks like an IDE device?  Or something else?

What sort of boards are you using?  Is there any U-Boot question here,
or did you mean to post this to a Linux list?

There's just not enough information in this e-mail to give a helpful
response.

-Scott