[U-Boot] Help Required [imx35pdk]

stefano babic sbabic at denx.de
Wed Sep 12 23:44:15 CEST 2012

Am 12/09/2012 23:07, schrieb Marek Vasut:
> Dear Muhammad Usman,

Hi Muhammad,

> Ccing Stefano.
>
>> I am adding support of imx35pdk in yocto.
>> I have done with my bsp. But the u-boot that build in response of my bsp
>> only runs over NOR and not on NAND. I spend 2 days on it but failed to do
>> so.

U-Boot for mx35pdk runs from NOR and not from NAND. There is no support
to run from NAND. Even if I can "convince" the board to boot from NAND,
this was not pushed to mainline. I explain why.

You have found nand_spl with support for mx31pdk. This was the method we
have previously to boot from NAND. We have now a generic framework for
SPL, and all new boards (or added support for booting from NAND) must
use it. A board using the old nand_spl will not be merged into mainline.

The mx35pdk was not ported to this generic SPL. We are really merging
this framework now to make it available for all SOC, because it was
common only for TI processor.

> I read some where that mx35pdk required some external 4-pins bla bla
>> something like that.

It does not require external pins. You have to configure the dip
switches on the mx35pdk.

>> Also the u-boot running on NOR is not configuring uImage. I am using tftp
>> but when it comes on loading, it keeps on showing "T T T T T..." (time-out
>> response).

I think I have tested it recently, and it worked - which of the two
interfaces have you used in u-boot ? Both (FEC and SMC) are supported in
the mx35pdk u-boot, and both should work, as far as I know.

>> One thing more, in the above mentioned repository, there is a directory
>> like spl_nand in which they have already add mx31pdk for u-boot-nand.bin
>> support but not mx35pdk. What should i do to overcome all this ???

This is what I talked about before. All boards using spl_nand were added
a lot of time ago. spl_nand requires a separate driver for SPL, and this
is highly inefficient. The way we decided to go is to use a generic SPL,
valid for all SOC. And there is not yet a port for mx35pdk to boot
directly from NAND.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de