[U-Boot] Custodians, Maintainers and old platforms

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Sat Sep 22 02:28:18 CEST 2012

Hey all,

(I had attempted to bcc this to all listed maintainer, but that upset
Google greatly.  I'll send this out manually instead later).

I'd like to put this out here for custodians and maintainers to
consider, especially in light of the device model work that's not just
coming but has already started being posted.

One of the keys to the success of U-Boot has been the number of
platforms that are supported.  But part of supporting platforms is
needing people to volunteer to maintain them long term and help with
testing changes and so forth.  So first of all, I've just tagged
v2012.10-rc1.  Please give this at least a basic test on whatever
platforms you're able to.

Second, with this, my next branch is now open and I'd like to start it
by asking that platforms that people wish to abandon be removed.  With
the device model, lots of code will need adjusting and while it's
mechanical in ways, it still needs to be run-time tested.  And it's
changes that someone must do.  I know others have suggested adding or
better publicizing our to-remove file.  But one of the advantages of git
is that it's easy to bring platforms back, should someone later wish to
bring it back.  But this also requires the removal to be done cleanly.

All of that said, I would like to stress that if you maintain a platform
and you wish to help with the testing and perhaps even the conversion
effort, no matter the age of the platform it would be welcome and
appreciated.

And finally, if everyone really wants to go another direction with old
platforms, I'm open to discussion of course.  I just want to miminize
work done on platforms that aren't active and we don't know if they will
come back.

--
Tom