[U-Boot] Custodians, Maintainers and old platforms

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Sat Sep 22 03:24:37 CEST 2012

Hi Tom,

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 17:28:18 -0700, Tom Rini <trini at ti.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> (I had attempted to bcc this to all listed maintainer, but that upset
> Google greatly.  I'll send this out manually instead later).
>
> I'd like to put this out here for custodians and maintainers to
> consider, especially in light of the device model work that's not just
> coming but has already started being posted.
>
> One of the keys to the success of U-Boot has been the number of
> platforms that are supported.  But part of supporting platforms is
> needing people to volunteer to maintain them long term and help with
> testing changes and so forth.  So first of all, I've just tagged
> v2012.10-rc1.  Please give this at least a basic test on whatever
> platforms you're able to.

Just started some minimal testing on edmini (Marvell orion5x).
Will be able to test on wireless_space (Marvell kirkwood).
Might be able to test on TrimSlice (NVidia Tegra2).
Sorry, no TI board handy. :)

> Second, with this, my next branch is now open and I'd like to start it
> by asking that platforms that people wish to abandon be removed.  With
> the device model, lots of code will need adjusting and while it's
> mechanical in ways, it still needs to be run-time tested.  And it's
> changes that someone must do.  I know others have suggested adding or
> better publicizing our to-remove file.  But one of the advantages of
> git is that it's easy to bring platforms back, should someone later
> wish to bring it back.  But this also requires the removal to be done
> cleanly.
>
> All of that said, I would like to stress that if you maintain a
> platform and you wish to help with the testing and perhaps even the
> conversion effort, no matter the age of the platform it would be
> welcome and appreciated.

As far as edmini and wireless_space are concerned, I am willing to give
it a try. Where should I start?

> And finally, if everyone really wants to go another direction with old
> platforms, I'm open to discussion of course.  I just want to miminize
> work done on platforms that aren't active and we don't know if they
> will come back.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.