[U-Boot] Stack size

Parimala Baggiri baggiriparimala at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 06:37:46 CET 2013

Hello James,

Thank you for the detailed explanations

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM, James Chargin <jimccrown at gmail.com> wrote:

> I work with Freescale e300 and e500 SOCs, other processors may do things a
> bit differently.
>
> U-Boot places several things in very high RAM. leaving the lower areas of
> RAM available for loading the OS and/or application(s).
>
> The stand alone application uses the U-Boot stack; it does not have its
> own.
>
> For Freescale processors, the stack grows from higher addresses to lower.
>
> Among the several things U-Boot places in upper RAM are the RAM-based copy
> of U-Boot itself, the video display buffer (if used) and the stack used by
> U-Boot and any stand alone application. This will require around a few
> megabytes of RAM storage.

In my case RAM-based copy of u-boot is mapped to
0x80E80000(CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE),  which is not the upper RAM location. Is
upper RAM means the last few megabytes of the total capacity?

The stack is located below all other items placed in RAM by U-Boot and so
> is limited to the remaining size of RAM (less the amount of space needed by
> the OS or the stand alone application, usually in the very lowest address
> range). In my experience, this is an unusually large area for a stack; I've
> never gotten anywhere close to an overflow.
>
> Can you supply more information about why you are asking about increasing
> stack size? Have you encountered a situation which seems to indicate a
> stack overflow?

In my standalone application, some debugging messages(printfs) are added,
which are not printing in one function and even the application is not
terminating for any reason. Hence, suspecting the stack size.

   What processor and board are you interested in?

Here are my processor details,
Panda board ES which uses OMAP4460 processor,
4GB SDRAM, starts at 0x80000000.

Regards,
Parimala