[U-Boot] Stack size

James Chargin jimccrown at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 15:43:34 CET 2013

Dear Parimala Baggiri,

To add a bit of context to Wolfgang Denk's reply...

I work with Freescale e300 and e500 SOCs, other processors may do things
a bit differently.

U-Boot places several things in very high RAM. leaving the lower areas
of RAM available for loading the OS and/or application(s).

The stand alone application uses the U-Boot stack; it does not have its own.

For Freescale processors, the stack grows from higher addresses to lower.

Among the several things U-Boot places in upper RAM are the RAM-based
copy of U-Boot itself, the video display buffer (if used) and the stack
used by U-Boot and any stand alone application. This will require around
a few megabytes of RAM storage.

The stack is located below all other items placed in RAM by U-Boot and
so is limited to the remaining size of RAM (less the amount of space
needed by the OS or the stand alone application, usually in the very
lowest address range). In my experience, this is an unusually large area
for a stack; I've never gotten anywhere close to an overflow.

Can you supply more information about why you are asking about
increasing stack size? Have you encountered a situation which seems to
indicate a stack overflow?

What processor and board are you interested in?

Best regards,
Jim
--
Jim Chargin