[U-Boot] is it possilbe to have uboot find the kernel in the file system?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 3 22:07:31 CET 2013

Dear John Stile,

In message <1357246601.7939.128.camel at genx> you wrote:
> Is it possible to add my kernel to the rootfs partition rather than have
> a separate partition?

Yes, it is - assuming you use a storage device and a file system type
supported by U-Boot.

> I am using U-Boot 1.3.4, on a at91sam9g20ek (256Mb Nand, 8Mb Nor), and
> use the sam-ba firmware upload tool.

Oops... v1.3.4 is way over 4 years old.  Please consider it hopelessly
obsoleted and completely unsupported.

> I'd like to put everything on nand, ignore nor, and hold redundant
> areas, in perpetration for firmware updates.

For NAND flash, you should use UBI  UBIFS (and yes, U-Boot can load
from a UBIFS file system).  The first step to this goal is an update
to recent code, though.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
When in doubt, mumble;   when in trouble, delegate;  when in  charge,
ponder.                                             -- James H. Boren