[U-Boot] Selecting from multiple device trees at runtime

Curt Brune curt at cumulusnetworks.com
Mon Jan 7 19:01:54 CET 2013

Hello,

I am following up on this thread:
"Merging device trees at runtime for module-based systems"
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2012-November/139618.html

I do not have a modular based system, so I do not need the full
flexibility of merging DT fragments at runtime.  However, I am very
interested in being able to select a full DT from a list of DT's at
runtime.  I believe this is a degenerate case of the more general N x M
modular case.

The background:  I have a number of different platforms running u-boot.
  They all use the same Linux kernel and initramfs, but different DT.

What I would love is to have a single multi-file uImage I could use on
all my platforms.  The idea is to introduce a new image type that is a
list of device tree blobs.

The uImage would contain a list of dtb's and u-boot would select the
correct one at runtime.  u-boot could iterate through the list
inspecting the "model" property of the  root node.

Thoughts on that approach?

Cheers,
Curt