[U-Boot] Selecting from multiple device trees at runtime

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue Jan 8 17:42:33 CET 2013

On 01/07/2013 08:16 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Curt Brune <curt at cumulusnetworks.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 01/07/2013 12:12 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Curt Brune,

>>> In addition to the file system based approach suggested by Stephen,
>>> you should have a look into using FIT images (see doc/uImage.FIT/ ).
>>> One of the reasons for creating these was to deal with situations
>>> exactly as you describe...
>>

>> I think that will work perfectly.  Thank you for the suggestion.
>
> Note also there is code in mainline now to select the correct FDT from
> a list of them in a FIT. based on the model name. Then it can pass
> this to the kernel. So if you have a way of getting the model name in
> U-Boot, it might just work.

Hmmm. What's the model name compared against? U-Boot board name variable
would be nice!

As a general comment here, I think the main issue Curt is facing is how
to select the correct DT in U-Boot. Whether the n DTBs to be selected
between are stored in a single FIT file, or stored in separate *.dtb
files, seems pretty irrelevant to that core problem of how to select
between them.