[U-Boot] uboot and Ethernet Controller issue

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 9 11:35:16 CET 2013

Dear Sandeep C R,

In message <CAEX5Uh-0BrxKHjNU-o7Oix9UjQDn1w34o0XNFPhRQibXDuLjSg at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> The porting was done long back and now linux (2.6.24) also was ported. The
> observation is still there with the Linux also. Please let me know if it
> has to do with some configuration of 82551.

Sorry, I fail to understand why you are now porting Linux v2.6.24,
which is also 5 years old...

> > > I have developed a PowerPC MPC7410 based processor board with Tsi107 as
> > the
> > > Host bridge and intel 82551 the ethernet controller. We have ported
> > > u-boot-1.3.1 into it as its boot loader.
> >
> > U-Boot v1.3.1?  But this is more than 5 years old!!
> >
> > Why did you chose such a prehistoric version?
> >
> > > about 90 minutes everytime. Is it something to do with the config of
> > > ethernet controller? Please advice.
> >
> > Please update to current code (like v2013.01-rc2 or so), and try
> > again.

As your code is not known tous, it is impossible to even guess what
might be the cause.  Also, we cannot remember all bugs fixed in U-Boot
and Linux for the last 5 years - for example, for U-Boot since v1.3.1
we have added 14238 commits from 727 developers; a total of 1619599
lines has been added, 1030461 removed, and 589138 changed.

It would really be best to update and use current code instead.  The
chances for free community help are very small for 5 year old
out-of-tree code.  Sorry.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
No journaling file system can recover your data if the disk dies.
                                 - Steve Rago in <D4Cw1p.L9E at plc.com>