[U-Boot] U-Boot Graphics Library?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 17 13:56:10 CET 2013

Dear Dirk,

In message <50F7A2D7.90405 at de.bosch.com> you wrote:

> Yes, we were thinking about the same use case: An U-Boot based device
> where U-Boot is responsible for the whole system update, including the
> OS. The user has to insert an USB stick or SD card containing the files
> to be updated. Then U-Boot has to copy these files to the NOR, NAND or
> whatever the system boots from. The only user interface is a display, no
> serial console. On the display something like "Please insert the USB
> stick", "Update in progress, please wait", "Update successfully
> finished", "Update error xx" has to be shown, then.

This has been done before, and probably many times. The last time I
did that for a customer I ended up with a 7.5 kB / 111 lines shell
script.  OK, I did not have to support a multi-language interface, and
it was all text based, but it included pretty good error handling
and all the logic even to test for a specific dongle to be installed
to enable the update. [And yes, it revealed a number of hush bugs,
too. :-( ]

I do not relly see why we need a graphics library with all bells and
whistles up to and including support for TTF here...

If you need a fancy GUI, please use an OS.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Life, loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it."
- Marvin the paranoid android