[U-Boot] [RFC 06/10] MIPS: qemu-malta: add PCI support

Gabor Juhos juhosg at openwrt.org
Tue Jan 22 07:03:41 CET 2013

Dear Wolfgang,

> I dislike that you introduce new I/O accessors here, and additionally
> in a way which is explicitly discouraged in U-Boot.
>
> We don't allow to access device registers through a base address plus
> offset notation; instead, we use C structs to describe the register
> layout.

Sorry, I was not aware of these requirements.

> Also, on real hardware your accessors areprobably lacking sufficient
> memory barriers etc.

The lack of memory barriers should not cause any problems on real hardware.
Although I don't have a Malta board, but the original Linux code also does not
use memory barriers.

> Is there any specific reason for not using the usual standard
> accessors as provided by <asm/io.h> ?

No specific reason. The original Linux code uses custom macros for register
access, and I have converted those into inline functions.

Thank you for the review. I will fix the issues in the next version of the patch.

-Gabor