[U-Boot] How to add new device driver from Linux driver source

Macpaul Lin macpaul at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 08:19:57 CET 2013

Hi Jack,

2013/1/25 "Chen, Jack C.W. (陳志偉 IES)" <Chen.JackCW at inventec.com>

> Dears,
>
> Our system used u-boot as the boot code, and it would be like to support
> SD card.
>
> We get the SD controller driver from vendor, it is linux source code.

What platform do you working with?
Does the boot code and the peripherals are already in u-boot main line
source tree?
If the platform is already supported in mainline u-boot would be better for
you to port this SD controller driver in mainline u-boot.
People will be easier to review and test your driver on this platform and
give you some comment. So if the platform is already supported in mainline
u-boot, please send the patch of this SD card driver (in GPL way) then to
add the extensibility of this platform in u-boot project. And if your
driver is modified from Linux driver, please add the comment about where
the Linux source and what version that you modified from.

> Do you have any comments or documents about how to port this source code
> into u-boot source tree.
>
> We would like to build it and try if this can work or should do modify on
> this source.

You can start by checking the definitions, data structures, and APIs in
include/mmc.h.
Hope we can see your patch of this SD driver, soon.

Macpaul Lin