[U-Boot] Want to study U-Boot code

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jan 25 22:27:25 CET 2013

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Woody Wu,
>
> In message <CAAsE_ue4VffAioQWzHPpyOZmzoFk9E5S7jj2+2BZuiK=C5yXtA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> >
> > I want to firstly get a picture to basically understand how u-boot
> > work, especially on an ARM9 based board. I think not everyone who
> > want to understand u-boot has to read the full code.  Thank.
>
> This depends on your definition of "understanding".  On a highlevel,
> you might start with reaing and digesting the manual, eventually
> trying out how U-Boot works on some (real or emulated) board.

  if i can jump in, a good way to start playing is to configure and
build for the "sandbox" architecture so you can run it on your x86
system.  for the benefit of a couple friends, i whipped together a
wiki page for that here:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/U-Boot_sandbox

  very simple but enough to get you started, and you can match up
running the commands with the underlying code.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca