[U-Boot] CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE and relocaddr

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 29 10:48:27 CET 2013

Dear Luca Ellero,

In message <51078BFD.60906 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> in U-Boot version 2012.10 I used to skip "relocate_code" setting
> CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE to relocaddr (obtained from bdinfo command).
> This since some hardware is able to configure SDRAM and load U-Boot
> directly to SDRAM, so relocation is useless and time consuming.

You are wrong.  relocation is not useless, even in your case.  there
are quite a number of configuration options that will put stuff above
the U-Boot image, directly at the end of RAM (things like protected
RAM, shared frame buffer, shared log buffer, etc.).  In these cases,
the relocation address may even be dynamic (i. e. depending on
settings of environment variables, and thus unknown at compile time).

> Now I'm using latest git version and this isn't working anymore.
> Can someone explain me way? And what is the suggested way to skip
> relocation now.

Don't.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The Empire didn't encourage its subjects to go far away, in case they
saw things that might disturb them. For the same reason it had  built
a  wall  around  the  entire country, patrolled by the Heavenly Guard
whose main function was to tread heavily on the fingers of any  inha-
bitants who felt they might like to step outside for five minutes for
a breath of fresh air.                      - Terry Pratchett, _Mort_