[U-Boot] How to boot split kernel/image of jffs2 partition?

Steve deRosier derosier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:40:32 CET 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to boot my Linux kernel and fs image from two
files stored on a jffs2 parition.  I'm using uClinux and have been just
booting a combined kernel+romfs image stored directly in flash.  I need to
split the kernel and rootfs apart (in this product, the kernel almost never
changes but the apps do, it saves 1.5M of download via expensive GPRS).

I was successful getting the combined version to boot after placing it as a
file into the jffs2 partition via 'fsload 0x01c00000 uImage.bin.gz.uboot'
followed by a 'bootm 0x01c00000'.  I tried simply splitting it and using
mkimage -T ramdisk on it and loading it like the kernel followed by a
'bootm 0x01c00000 0x01900000', but that failed hard.

I noticed that when the bootm processes the ramdisk, it shows "Loading
Ramdisk to 01dd8000, end 01f3140c ... OK" no matter what '-a' I pass to
mkimage.  I was trying to get it to just load it exactly after the kernel
as the uClinux expects it right after .bss (CONFIG_MTD_UCLINUX_EBSS), but
since that didn't work, I also tried rebuilding my kernel with telling
uClinux exactly that address.

It's obvious to me that all the parts here exist, but I'm encountering too
many options/questions to happen on the right path.  I'm probably looking
at this from the wrong angle. How do I do this?

Thanks,
- Steve