[U-Boot] nand onfi 8bit/16bit bus support

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Jun 19 19:17:21 CEST 2013

On 06/19/2013 08:40:19 AM, Michal Simek wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> On 05/09/2013 11:37 PM, Scott Wood wrote:
> > On 05/06/2013 11:53:52 AM, Michal Simek wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> Zynq supports 8 and 16bit ONFI nand flashes.
> >> We can count number of connected pins and from that
> >> we know if 8bit or 16bit nand flash is used.
> >>
> >> I have looked at the code and contains ONFI detection
> >> with correct detection of bus width + checking later.
> >> Why also not setup proper chip->options for NAND_BUSWIDTH_16?
> >>
> >> Not sure how others but if driver expect just ONFI devices
> >> and support 8 and 16bit options why not just to setup
> >> chip options based on information from ONFI or
> >> not check that (busw != (chip->options & NAND_BUSWIDTH_16))
> >> for onfi case.
> >
> > This is fixed in current Linux, with NAND_BUSWIDTH_AUTO.  There was
> a patchset to merge in recent Linux MTD code a while back, but an
> expected respin didn't come.  I'll try to fix it up when I process
> this merge window's patches.
>
> Have you done this change?
> I have grepped the latest version and I can't see it there.

MTD from 3.7.1 (which was what was current when the patch was posted
months ago) was merged in.  It looks like NAND_BUSWIDTH_AUTO was added
in 3.8.  We can do another MTD update in the next merge window, which
would pick this up.  Or if you'd like to submit a patch that just fixes
this problem (in the same way as in Linux, so it doesn't conflict too
badly when we do the merge), it could be applied now as a bugfix.

-Scott