[U-Boot] u-boot gerrit server

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Tue Nov 12 18:14:13 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Vadim Bendebury (вб)
<vbendeb at google.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Otavio Salvador
> <otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Vadim Bendebury (вб)
>> <vbendeb at google.com> wrote:

>>> I am not sure what would be the best way of doing it, but the bottom
>>> line is that there still would be multiple git repos with chunks of
>>> code going upstream once accepted by custodians.

>>> How is it handled today? Gerrit is after all just a means of keeping
>>> track of patches in a more efficient way, the rest could be similar to
>>> what is in use now, or enhanced using gerrit's features.
>>
>> Currently it is just reassigned in Patchwork; using multiple trees
>> will complicate this.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Gerrit, I am just trying to bring up the
>> problems/issues we need to find solutions to be able to use/try it.
>>

> Ottavio, these all are certainly very good questions to ask.
> Admittedly, I am not very much involved in the u-boot review process,
> so I am sure there are details to figure out.
>
> It is just a question of buying into a web/GUI based review system,
> once that decision is made the details could be sorted out in more
> ways than one.

Sorry but this is not that simple.

Personally I dislike the idea of multiple U-Boot trees (when it comes
to Gerrit workflow).

What I think it'd be possible to get working would be:

Custodians would have Submit rights
Custodians would have +2 review rights
"Normal" people would have +1 review rights
CI system could have the +1 for verified
Single tree

So essentially custodians could be assigned using some keyword, file
matching and other clever heuristics, but it'd give freedom for them
to 'drop' their review need or add someone else. Once they submit a
change it goes straight to 'master' branch.

This easy the merging of stuff but this ends with the sub-trees.