[U-Boot] u-boot gerrit server

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 12 20:26:18 CET 2013

Dear Vadim,

In message <CAC3GErHOF06DVZqGGnd89hW00GNjU=wg8cfyoGgCbEB1martsw at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> Gentlemen, I have not forgotten our discussion regarding setting up a
> sample gerrit server for u-boot during the ELCE mini-summit.  Sorry
> for this long and not very clear email, if there is any interest I
> will be glad to answer questions and address concerns to the best of
> my ability, and I am sure Simon (sjg@) will pitch in.

Thanks for the efforts.

I have a few questions:

> For the purposes of this demo the patches submitted for review were
> generated  by a script I wrote. The script scrapes
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/, downloads the patches
> from there and tries applying them. Not all patches apply cleanly (as
> some of them are for branches).

Can you not pick up the patches directly from the mailing list?  I
mean, we know of the problems patchwork has (like silently dropping
certain base64 / utf8 encoded messages), so we should rather try and
get a more reliable feed for the patches?

> Any one can upload patches to this server after creating an account on
> it. Any Google account will do, or if you don't want to have a Google
> based email you can create the account using your existing email.
> Follow the prompts after clicking on 'Sign in' link on the top right.

Is my understanding correct that I have to use or create a google
account in any case to participate in this type of work?  What if I am
not willing to accept Google's Terms of Service, or to register an
account with google for other reasons?

> After signing up one should create a password for authentication with
> the server.  Click on the little black triangle next to your name in
> the top right, then on 'Settings' and then on 'HTTP Password'. Save
> the lines generated by this in ~/.netrc (with permissions set to 0400)
> and you are good to go.

For me nothing happens when I click on "settings".  I just see for a
fraction of a second as small pop-up "working", and then nothing.

> This server is not configured yet, but in general gerrit allows for
> three levels of reviewers - those who can just comment, those who can
> assign a +1 rating to the change (an equivalent of an acked by) and
> those who can assign a +2 rating or push the change (the custodians).
> There is no point in setting these up on a mirror, but if so desired,
> it could be done.

How can we arrange to keep the mailing list in sync?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Our management frequently gets lost in thought.   That's because it's
unfamiliar territory.