[U-Boot] u-boot gerrit server

Vadim Bendebury (вб) vbendeb at google.com
Tue Nov 12 20:46:35 CET 2013

Hello Wolfgang,

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Vadim,
>
> In message <CAC3GErHOF06DVZqGGnd89hW00GNjU=wg8cfyoGgCbEB1martsw at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>> Gentlemen, I have not forgotten our discussion regarding setting up a
>> sample gerrit server for u-boot during the ELCE mini-summit.  Sorry
>> for this long and not very clear email, if there is any interest I
>> will be glad to answer questions and address concerns to the best of
>> my ability, and I am sure Simon (sjg@) will pitch in.
>
> Thanks for the efforts.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
>> For the purposes of this demo the patches submitted for review were
>> generated  by a script I wrote. The script scrapes
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/, downloads the patches
>> from there and tries applying them. Not all patches apply cleanly (as
>> some of them are for branches).
>
> Can you not pick up the patches directly from the mailing list?  I
> mean, we know of the problems patchwork has (like silently dropping
> certain base64 / utf8 encoded messages), so we should rather try and
> get a more reliable feed for the patches?

this is the thing: picking up patches from patchwork is not something
you'd do regularly - this is just my way of populating the review site
from a single test account.

If this workflow were adopted, each user would push their patch to the
gerrit server, creating a new review branch for that particular patch.
In general, gerrit view of the branch matches the submitter's view of
the branch - if the submitter has several patches in one branch, they
will all be uploaded by gerrit to the same separate branch,
maintaining the relationship between the patches.

>> Any one can upload patches to this server after creating an account on
>> it. Any Google account will do, or if you don't want to have a Google
>> based email you can create the account using your existing email.
>> Follow the prompts after clicking on 'Sign in' link on the top right.
>
> Is my understanding correct that I have to use or create a google
> account in any case to participate in this type of work?  What if I am
> not willing to accept Google's Terms of Service, or to register an
> account with google for other reasons?

This is correct, if you decide to use the google infrastructure based
server. But you don't have to, gerrit is a stand alone application
which can be easily installed on the same server or on a different
server in the same location where the master u-boot git server is,
with you (denx.de) having full control over it.

Google hosting has advantages of providing extremely high bandwidth
and reliability, but google's version of gerrit (distributed and
replicated) is not a requirement, as i said, gerrit could be hosted on
a linux machine.

>> After signing up one should create a password for authentication with
>> the server.  Click on the little black triangle next to your name in
>> the top right, then on 'Settings' and then on 'HTTP Password'. Save
>> the lines generated by this in ~/.netrc (with permissions set to 0400)
>> and you are good to go.
>
> For me nothing happens when I click on "settings".  I just see for a
> fraction of a second as small pop-up "working", and then nothing.

This is odd, can you maybe send me a screenshot of this browser window
with the `settings' link displayed, before and after you click on it?

>> This server is not configured yet, but in general gerrit allows for
>> three levels of reviewers - those who can just comment, those who can
>> assign a +1 rating to the change (an equivalent of an acked by) and
>> those who can assign a +2 rating or push the change (the custodians).
>> There is no point in setting these up on a mirror, but if so desired,
>> it could be done.
>
> How can we arrange to keep the mailing list in sync?

This is a big question for which there is no good answer. Gerrit will
send submitted patches in emails (limited to a configurable max patch
size), but it will not accept email based reviews. So, this would
involve a change in the way things done, I am just suggesting this as
an alternative for consideration.

--vb