[U-Boot] u-boot gerrit server

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Thu Nov 14 20:54:22 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:46:35AM -0800, Vadim Bendebury (????) wrote:

> Hello Wolfgang,
[snip]
> > Can you not pick up the patches directly from the mailing list?  I
> > mean, we know of the problems patchwork has (like silently dropping
> > certain base64 / utf8 encoded messages), so we should rather try and
> > get a more reliable feed for the patches?
> >

> this is the thing: picking up patches from patchwork is not something
> you'd do regularly - this is just my way of populating the review site
> from a single test account.
>
> If this workflow were adopted, each user would push their patch to the
> gerrit server, creating a new review branch for that particular patch.
> In general, gerrit view of the branch matches the submitter's view of
> the branch - if the submitter has several patches in one branch, they
> will all be uploaded by gerrit to the same separate branch,
> maintaining the relationship between the patches.

This is my biggest concern.  On the one-off to infrequent contribution
side (and we do have some of that), I worry about the infrastucture
hurdle here.

On the other side, what is the gerrit equivalent of 'git send-email
--compose ...', and I'm focusing on the compose side here.  Or is it
just another mental switch the project makes, from that to push to
gerrit / compose email saying "hey, look at this"

> >> Any one can upload patches to this server after creating an account on
> >> it. Any Google account will do, or if you don't want to have a Google
> >> based email you can create the account using your existing email.
> >> Follow the prompts after clicking on 'Sign in' link on the top right.
> >
> > Is my understanding correct that I have to use or create a google
> > account in any case to participate in this type of work?  What if I am
> > not willing to accept Google's Terms of Service, or to register an
> > account with google for other reasons?
> >

> This is correct, if you decide to use the google infrastructure based
> server. But you don't have to, gerrit is a stand alone application
> which can be easily installed on the same server or on a different
> server in the same location where the master u-boot git server is,
> with you (denx.de) having full control over it.
>
> Google hosting has advantages of providing extremely high bandwidth
> and reliability, but google's version of gerrit (distributed and
> replicated) is not a requirement, as i said, gerrit could be hosted on
> a linux machine.

Well, how much help and tweaking can we get, if we go with Google
hosting?  My views are perhaps biased based on using gerrit earlier in
Android's life, but, I can't imagine us having the time to deal with
admining and upgrading a server later on.  And of course, given ${insert
ones favorite now defunct google service} what might happen down the
line if the Google hosting goes away?

[snip]
> >> This server is not configured yet, but in general gerrit allows for
> >> three levels of reviewers - those who can just comment, those who can
> >> assign a +1 rating to the change (an equivalent of an acked by) and
> >> those who can assign a +2 rating or push the change (the custodians).
> >> There is no point in setting these up on a mirror, but if so desired,
> >> it could be done.
> >
> > How can we arrange to keep the mailing list in sync?
> >

> This is a big question for which there is no good answer. Gerrit will
> send submitted patches in emails (limited to a configurable max patch
> size), but it will not accept email based reviews. So, this would
> involve a change in the way things done, I am just suggesting this as
> an alternative for consideration.

Can we at least get all reviews sent to the ML?

--
Tom