[U-Boot] dra7xx: booting from eMMC raw boot partition

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Thu Nov 21 17:49:29 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 05:27:50PM -0500, Richard Retanubun wrote:

> Hi Shankar and Michael,
>
> I am using the ti dra7xx_evm platform, which comes with a Micron
> MTFC4GVMEA-4M IT device that has two 16MB boot partitions.  I want to
> load the MLO and uboot into the eMMC's boot partition and boot from it
> in eMMC automotive peripheral mode.
>
> I am able to write the MLO into the beginning of /dev/mmcblk1boot0 or
> /dev/mmcblk1boot1 or /dev/mmcblk1 (using dd) I then used mmc-utils to
> make sure that CONFIG_PARTITION in the eMMC's extcsd is set to allow
> booting from boot1 (with ACK).
>
> However, the CPU does not print anything back on the console...
>
> The only way I can get raw eMMC boot mode to work is if I put the MLO
> on /dev/mmcblk1 (which is the user data area).

Did you change the SYSBOOT pins to use automotive peripheral mode,
rather than user data?  If you did, you should see an error from MLO
saying that you came in from an unsupported boot device (since we don't
have the value of what ROM tells us for when we come in that way defined
in arch/arm/include/asm/arch-omap5/spl.h).  Or there is some other
problem.  Also note that U-Boot defaults to using these "boot"
partitions for storing the environment so you will need to change that
part of the config once you use these partitions for something else.

--
Tom