[U-Boot] dra7xx: booting from eMMC raw boot partition

Richard Retanubun richardretanubun at ruggedcom.com
Thu Nov 21 18:57:10 CET 2013

On 21/11/13 11:49 AM, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 05:27:50PM -0500, Richard Retanubun wrote:
>> The only way I can get raw eMMC boot mode to work is if I put the MLO
>> on /dev/mmcblk1 (which is the user data area).
>
> Did you change the SYSBOOT pins to use automotive peripheral mode,
> rather than user data?  If you did, you should see an error from MLO
> saying that you came in from an unsupported boot device (since we don't
> have the value of what ROM tells us for when we come in that way defined
> in arch/arm/include/asm/arch-omap5/spl.h).  Or there is some other
> problem.
I did try both SYSBOOT for automotive peripheral mode..
I wished it did say something (even if it is an error message).
My problem is that it does not display anything at all.
So, I think I fall under the "some other problem" category. :)

> Also note that U-Boot defaults to using these "boot"
> partitions for storing the environment so you will need to change that
> part of the config once you use these partitions for something else.

Thank you for the heads up. I'll watch out for this when I get to this phase.

Tom, since you're both the u-boot-arm maintainer and happens to work for TI,
do you know the e.t.a of mainlining the /drivers/mmc/spl_mmc.c and the related
code needed to boot from eMMC in raw mode into denx-master?

I rather stick with denx-master mainline if at all possible,
but right now the functionality only exist in p-ti-u-boot-2013.04, right?

Thanks a lot for the pointers.