[U-Boot] dra7xx: booting from eMMC raw boot partition

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Thu Nov 21 19:09:10 CET 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 12:57:10PM -0500, Richard Retanubun wrote:
> On 21/11/13 11:49 AM, Tom Rini wrote:
> >On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 05:27:50PM -0500, Richard Retanubun wrote:
> >>The only way I can get raw eMMC boot mode to work is if I put the MLO
> >>on /dev/mmcblk1 (which is the user data area).
> >
> >Did you change the SYSBOOT pins to use automotive peripheral mode,
> >rather than user data?  If you did, you should see an error from MLO
> >saying that you came in from an unsupported boot device (since we don't
> >have the value of what ROM tells us for when we come in that way defined
> >in arch/arm/include/asm/arch-omap5/spl.h).  Or there is some other
> >problem.
> I did try both SYSBOOT for automotive peripheral mode..
> I wished it did say something (even if it is an error message).
> My problem is that it does not display anything at all.
> So, I think I fall under the "some other problem" category. :)
>
> >Also note that U-Boot defaults to using these "boot"
> >partitions for storing the environment so you will need to change that
> >part of the config once you use these partitions for something else.
> >
> Thank you for the heads up. I'll watch out for this when I get to this phase.
>
> Tom, since you're both the u-boot-arm maintainer and happens to work for TI,
> do you know the e.t.a of mainlining the /drivers/mmc/spl_mmc.c and the related
> code needed to boot from eMMC in raw mode into denx-master?
>
> I rather stick with denx-master mainline if at all possible,
> but right now the functionality only exist in p-ti-u-boot-2013.04, right?

I've done RAW mode booting on my omap5_uevm as well as am335x-based
platforms, on SD card and eMMC.  But in the case of eMMC it's always the
user partitions.  I suspect the answer is that for automotive booting
you need silicon that supports that, much like the difference between HS
and GP devices.  I'm not sure what code in p-ti-u-boot-2013.04 hasn't
been merged to mainline but if you can give me some pointers I can go
and poke some folks.

--
Tom