[U-Boot] [RFC] ARM: U-boot and 2 GiB of ram with get_ram_size only being long

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Oct 15 19:57:33 CEST 2013

On Tue, 2013-10-15 at 09:12 +0200, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> On Mon, 07 Oct 2013 04:41:31 +0200, Oliver Schinagl
> <oliver+list at schinagl.nl> wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Having not received any feed back at all, I went ahead and did the
> > changes anyway. Everything seems to run and work fine for sunxi and
> > prints proper sizes.
> >
> > For the other boards, I tried to run a MAKEALL but there where so many
> > random other warnings I can't say for 100% certainty there where no
> > mistakes that crept in.
>
> There cannot possibly be a single warning if you're working from an
> official U-Boot repo, as warnings are considered failures and thus no
> patch reaches u-boot/master if it causes a warning.

That might be the theory, but in practice this is simply false.
Different toolchains produce different warnings, and not all patches
always get test-built on every target (especially on obscure
architectures).  And since it's false that no warnings exist, that means
sometimes even when a patch is test-built, some newly introduced
warnings get missed (I got an e-mail pointing out such an occurance just
today).

-Scott