[U-Boot] Can a standalone application send data via Ethernet in U-Boot?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Oct 18 22:15:00 CEST 2013

Dear rvijay435,

it would be nice if you would disclose your real name...

In message <1382067543913-165775.post at n7.nabble.com> you wrote:
> In Linux, we have sendto and recvfrom calls to send and receive data from the
> external devices connected via Ethernet. Now I am executing my code on
> U-Boot as a standalone application. I need to replace these socket calls
> which should be independent of OS.

U-Boot is just a boot loader, it is not an OS.  U-Boot has just a very
promitive network stack, it doesn not provide full-blown TCP/IP
services.  All we can do is a little UDP...

> Are there any APIs/drivers provided in U-Boot so that I can use them
> directly and transfer the data to and from the Target Board? If so where
> should I check for a processor specific driver? I am unable to find it. The
> board which I am using is a customized one based on MPC8548E processor.

You cannot use the network at all in standalone applications (unless
you implement your own network driver and network stack).  The network
functions are not part of the exported interface.  This is
intentional.

Note that you also cannot use sockets or similar in U-Boot, as we
don't have a full TCP/IP implementation.  All we have is a bit of UDP.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A penny saved is a penny to squander.
- Ambrose Bierce