[U-Boot] u-boot and Linux hanle ubifs ecc in different way on beaglebon variant board

Tim Harvey tharvey at gateworks.com
Fri Oct 25 15:33:47 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:18 AM, matti kaasinen
<matti.kaasinen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Im working on beaglebone variant board - basically the same as beaglebone
> but with NAND flash on board with am33x processor.
>
> Ubifs works fine when I access it purely from Linux (formatting, making
> ubifs volume etc.). However, when I try to access it from u-boot, e.g
> execute ubi part - command, I get tons of ecc error messages. If I reboot
> board after this, it turns out that this ubifs has been corrupted but that
> ubi part command.
>
> Board is running latest beaglebone linux (3.8.11) with device tree
> (Angstrom distribution). I have tried both with and without BCH8 HW support
> enabled in kernel. Both seems to work in the same way as far as u-boot is
> concerned.
>
> Any suggestion to find the problem?

Matti,

I recently ran into the same type of issue with my i.MX6 board with
NAND.  This issue occured when the linux gpmi driver changed (in 3.11)
the way ECC strength was determined and thus changed the layout
regarding ECC.  Make sure both uboot and linux are using the same
layout (ecc strength, page size, oob, etc).

Tim