[U-Boot] Can a standalone application send data via Ethernet in U-Boot?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Oct 26 21:31:24 CEST 2013

Dear rvijay435,

In message <1382594959198-166076.post at n7.nabble.com> you wrote:

> Can I use tsec_miiphy_write () function which is defined in
> drivers/net/tsec.c for sending the data from standalone application via

You can use everything you like, if you accept the resuting
consequences on the license terms of your code.

> Ethernet. I am trying to export this function and use it.
> The files I edited for exporting are: "include/exports.h",
> "include/_exports.h", "common/exports.c".
> At jumptable_init () function in common/exports.c, I am giving the following
> line:
> gd->jt[XF_tsec_miiphy_write] = tsec_miiphy_write.

Hm... I'm notr sure what exactly you are trying to do here - I cannot
find the string "tsec_miiphy_write" anywhere in the U-Boot source
code.

In any case: by doing something like this, you accept that your
standalone application is GPLed, so I wonder why you use a SA app in
the first place instead of just linking your code with U-Boot?

> But the *error* I am getting is:
>
> common/libcommon.a(exports.o):(.got2+0x0): undefined reference to
> 'tsec_miiphy_write'.
>
> Note:
> Is this error coming because the function is static?

I can't see how you come to that conclusing - for me, it just does not
exist at all.

> If so, how to export and use them in standalone application of U-Boot?

Simply: You don't.  If you need networking, stay within U-Boot
context.  Or boot an OS.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
All men should freely use those seven words which have the  power  to
make any marriage run smoothly: You know dear, you may be right.