[U-Boot] SPL binary too large for OMAP4460 OCM

bin4ry 0xbin4ry at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 09:31:40 CEST 2013

Hi everybody,

I need to add functionality to the SPL code. I tried to implement in a
memory-saving way, however, the SPL is about 45 kB after compilation. To
get compilation working, I had to set CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE to (45 *
1024). Now, the SPL as well as u-boot won't boot. After the device'
(PandaBoard ES - OMAP4460) reset, nothing happens regarding it's output
on terminal.

My question: is it theoretically possible to to establish a successfully
booting SPL with ~45 kB in size for this device? The device'
on-chip-memory is 56kB so it could fit in there. If so, what needs to be
configured / tuned to get it working? Are there any other features I
could omit from the binary to make it smaller?

Thanks a lot,
-b