[U-Boot] CONFIG_SYS_XIP_BOOT for when it's a choice?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 7 20:45:42 CEST 2014

Dear Tom,

In message <20140407174936.GJ23803 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:

> > OK.  So if this basically the same what we do when booting XIP from
> > parallel NOR, then maybe we should rename CONFIG_NOR_BOOT into a more
> > generic name, like CONFIG_XIP_BOOT ?
>
> Nope, not everything for NOR is required for QSPI nor correct, so we'll
> still need NOR/QSPI boot options (CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN.. then
> size/location).

I think CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN.. is an independent thing. Even when booting
from NOR you can have the environment anywhere else.

As for the differences between NOR and QSPI...  IIRC we cannot execute
any code directly on QSPI, we have to load it to some memory first,
right?  So QSPI is not much different from loading the code from any
other storage device - or am I missing something?  How is XIP from
QSPI working?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"No matter where you go, there you are..."          - Buckaroo Banzai