[U-Boot] CONFIG_SYS_XIP_BOOT for when it's a choice?

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Mon Apr 7 21:02:10 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 08:45:42PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Tom,
>
> In message <20140407174936.GJ23803 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:
> >
> > > OK.  So if this basically the same what we do when booting XIP from
> > > parallel NOR, then maybe we should rename CONFIG_NOR_BOOT into a more
> > > generic name, like CONFIG_XIP_BOOT ?
> >
> > Nope, not everything for NOR is required for QSPI nor correct, so we'll
> > still need NOR/QSPI boot options (CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN.. then
> > size/location).
>
> I think CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN.. is an independent thing. Even when booting
> from NOR you can have the environment anywhere else.

Well, maybe.  I'm not sure (and too lazy to dig through the board doc
atm) on if you can have both NOR and QSPI available on the reference
design, but I think not.  But also, for ..._qspiboot I want to show
everything from QSPI, and ..._norboot I want everything on NOR.

> As for the differences between NOR and QSPI...  IIRC we cannot execute
> any code directly on QSPI, we have to load it to some memory first,
> right?  So QSPI is not much different from loading the code from any
> other storage device - or am I missing something?  How is XIP from
> QSPI working?

Nope, this board has memory mapped QSPI and on reading something other
than all 0s or all 1s ROM jumps to it.

--
Tom