[U-Boot] SPI NOR MTD's

Daniel Schwierzeck daniel.schwierzeck at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 21:41:23 CEST 2014

Hi Jeff,

> Hi,
>
> I am new to u-boot. I have u-boot working on a custom board for the
> freescale i.MX6 Solo. We have SPI NOR (m25p32) and with sf probe I can see
> the device. I can also erase/write/read and boot my kernel from SPI NOR.
> However, I just can not  figure out how to use MTD's. I have MTDIDS_DEFAULT
> "nor0=m25p32.0" and I've defined MTDPARTS_DEFAULT. I just don't understand
> what I need to put in the MTDIDS_DEFAULT. In addition, it's obvious that
> there is no connection between cmd_sf and cmd_parts. With the
> MTDIDS_DEFAULT defined as above I get Device nor0 not found. Also. with
> flinfo I get nothing listed.
>
> Any help/guidance setting up MTD's on SPI NOR is greatly appreciated.

MTD with SPI flash is currently not supported. You need a MTD
translation layer driver. I have an experimental driver lying around
[1] if you want to try it out.

You have to set MTDIDS_DEFAULT to "nor0=spi<BUS>.<CS>".
MTDPARTS_DEFAULT could be set to something like
"mtdparts=spi<BUS>.<CS>:512k(uboot),4m(kernel)". Adjust <BUS> and <CS>
to your board. The identifier 'spi<BUS>.<CS>' in mtdparts will also be
recognized by the kernel m25p80 driver when the MTD cmdline parser is
enabled.

BTW: the flinfo command is for CFI flash only

[1] http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-mips.git;a=commitdiff;h=bb246819cdc90493dd7089eaa51b9e639765cced

--
- Daniel