[U-Boot] [RFC] RFC: convert MPC8536DS to use generic board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Apr 26 21:36:31 CEST 2014

Dear York Sun,

In message <535BE09F.80005 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> >> Add #ifdef CONFIG_OF_CONTROL for reserve_fdt(), setup_fdt(), reloc_fdt().
> >
> > This looks wrong to me.  This is a global file, and you are affecting
> > a ton of unrelated boards.
>
> Understood it is a global file. These functions deal with FDT. They should not

It appears you assume every board using the DT has CONFIG_OF_CONTROL
set in its configuration?  For example, all PPC boards have been using
the DT for years, but count how many of them define CONFIG_OF_CONTROL

How many other boards have you actually tested with this
modification applied?

> >> Set initial value for gd. Powerpc SoCs use locked cache as init RAM.
> >
> > Well, some of them do, not all.
>
> arch/powerpc/lib/board.c uses this way. I presume it is safe to use for all PPC
> parts.nn

At least your comment is wrong.  And again:  how many other boards
have actually been testes?

And why is this now necessary?  Everything has been working perfectly
fine without that for all other boards - so why do we now need such a
global modification just for this specific board?

> >> Change return value for mac_read_from_eeprom() when mismatch happens to
> >> prevent calling hang().
> >
> > You mean, you just ignore the error?  This is a change of the cpolicy
> > that has nothing to do with generic board support, right?  Why should
> > this be done now, i. e. why has it been accepted and considered to be
> > working before?
>
> This function is helpful but not critical. If reading fails, the board should
> continue to boot then users will have a chance to fix it. The new generic board
> treats this as other functions in board_init_r. Any error will cause hanging.

You repeat yourself, but you do not answer my questions.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
What is mind?  No matter.  What is matter?  Never mind.
                                      -- Thomas Hewitt Key, 1799-1875