[U-Boot] [RFC] RFC: convert MPC8536DS to use generic board

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Apr 30 01:18:56 CEST 2014

On Sat, 2014-04-26 at 21:36 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear York Sun,

> > > You mean, you just ignore the error?  This is a change of the cpolicy
> > > that has nothing to do with generic board support, right?  Why should
> > > this be done now, i. e. why has it been accepted and considered to be
> > > working before?
> >
> > This function is helpful but not critical. If reading fails, the board should
> > continue to boot then users will have a chance to fix it. The new generic board
> > treats this as other functions in board_init_r. Any error will cause hanging.
>
> You repeat yourself, but you do not answer my questions.

Isn't this the first time that mac_read_from_eeprom() in
board/freescale/common/sys_eeprom.c was used with common/board_r.c?
Previously it was called in arch/powerpc/lib/board.c which only used the
initfunc array approach for board_init_f().  board_init_r() called
mac_read_from_eeprom() and ignored the return.

It does seem excessive to hang on initcall failure, rather than print an
error and continue.

-Scott