[U-Boot] [RFC] RFC: convert MPC8536DS to use generic board

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Sat Apr 26 22:18:55 CEST 2014

Hi York,

On 26 April 2014 10:36, York Sun <yorksun at freescale.com> wrote:
> On 04/26/2014 02:22 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> Dear York Sun,
>>
>> In message <1398474623-4709-1-git-send-email-yorksun at freescale.com> you wrote:
>>>
>>> Add #ifdef CONFIG_OF_CONTROL for reserve_fdt(), setup_fdt(), reloc_fdt().
>>
>> This looks wrong to me.  This is a global file, and you are affecting
>> a ton of unrelated boards.
>
> Understood it is a global file. These functions deal with FDT. They should not
> be in the path if targets don't use device tree to configure their devices. If
> there is another more appropriate macro to use, please let me know. Take the
> example I used, MPC8536DS, the gd->fdt_blob would have incorrect value because
> it doesn't use device tree.

It should be NULL, so none of this code will do anything.

See the code at the top of board_init_f():

#if !defined(CONFIG_CPM2) && !defined(CONFIG_MPC512X) && \
!defined(CONFIG_MPC83xx) && !defined(CONFIG_MPC85xx) && \
!defined(CONFIG_MPC86xx) && !defined(CONFIG_X86)
       zero_global_data();
#endif

For x86 the data is zeroed for us by previous start-up code. Possibly
the same is true of ARM. For the MPC devices I copied what was there,
but it is possible that it shold be zeroed, or at least fdt_blob
should be zeroed.

Regards,
Simon