[U-Boot] [RFC] Kconfig: MAINTAINERS file or not?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 28 22:41:07 CEST 2014

Dear Masahiro,

In message <20140428185854.B2B8.AA925319 at jp.panasonic.com> you wrote:

> Before I send Kconfig series v2,
> please let me cofirm our approach of maintainers info.

Thanks for all your patience when dealing with all these apparently
simple things that nevertheless take so much time and nerves to
decide.

> Instead, MAINTAINERS file as in Linux Kernel was proposed.
> (And the patch series by Daniel is already on Patchwork.)
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/340546/
> But Wolfgang (and Albert) disagreed with it.
>
> In Kconfig v1 series, I put maintainers info and board status
> in board/*/*/Kconfig as non-user-editable settings:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/342089/

I find myself in the difficult situation that I'm not really happy
with either of these approaches, but then I don't have any better
solution to suggest.  I think I find the board/*/*/Kconfig a bit
better.

> But I am not sure if this is a good idea.
> (At least, it is dirty.)

Could you please explain why you think so?

> In v2, I will drop maintainers info and board status from Kconfig
> and leave them to Daniel's patch.

Hm... :-(

I hope others will provide more feedback - I'd be seriously unhappy if
this decision was based only on gut feelings like mine...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching  should,  therefore,
be regarded as a criminal offense.                   - E. W. Dijkstra