[U-Boot] Porting a freescale sabrelite-like board to master ?

Eric Nelson eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com
Sat Feb 22 22:12:34 CET 2014

Hi Thierry,

On 02/22/2014 10:56 AM, Thierry Bultel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The board I am working on, is based on the Freescale sabrelite board,
> the manufacturer provides support for it, as an about 1000
 > lines patch that applies to rel_imx_3.0.35_4.1.0
> (3.0.35_4.1.0 is the kernel version I am using)

Are you referring to **another** manufacturer?

We have support for SABRE Lite in main-line and are actively
maintaining it.

> As that freescale version is too old for me (that is, it does not have
> support for USB or splashscreen),
> I would like to use the latest version of mainline u-boot.

You should start by using a board file based on Nitrogen6x (which
contains support for both Nitrogen6x and SABRE Lite by looking
at one pin:
	http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=board/boundary/nitrogen6x/nitrogen6x.c;h=d9c05b07bfae83466513735cbec95c7f949de7a5;hb=HEAD#l736

> I am a little puzzled, when I see that sabrelite support has been
> removed from main, it seems to have been replaced
> by the nitrogen board, so my manufacturer patch -badly- applies,
> especially due to the disparition of flash_header.S ...

The differences are minor and explained in more detail here:
	http://boundarydevices.com/differences-sabre-lite-nitrogen6x

> I quickly found out that attempting a git rebase of rel_imx_3.0.35_4.1.0
> to master was a bad idea, too.
>
> So what would be the easiest and time less costing option to achieve
> what I want to do ?

I'd recommend starting with main-line Nitrogen6x code base, and update
as needed for your particulars.

Regards,

Eric