[U-Boot] Compiling fw_printenv tool

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue Jan 14 11:54:15 CET 2014

Hi Alexey,

> Dear Detlev,
>
> I ran
> $ make HOSTCC=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc env
> and got the tools/env/fw_printenv executable. But the Make command
> returned error:
> strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file `fw_printenv'
> make[1]: *** [fw_printenv] Error 1
>
> I guess, HOSTSTRIP variable also has to be set.
>
> However, I uploaded the unstripped executable to my embedded device,
> and ran:
> $ chmod a+x fw_printenv
> $ ./fw_printenv
> -sh: ./fw_printenv: not found
>
> I tried also manually stripping the executable.
> What could be this error related to?

Oops, I really missed that mail, sorry.

This error message means that your cross-compiled binary does not run on
the embedded device (maybe the device uses different libraries than your
cross toolchain links agains).  To troubleshoot that, start with a
regular "hello-world.c" and continue to fw_printenv only if you have
this working.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
The  C++  STL, with its dyslexia-inducing syntax blizzard of colons and angle
brackets, guarantees that if you try to declare any reasonable data structure,