[U-Boot] how to get u-boot code with arm64: core support

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 15 13:25:01 CET 2014

Dear Abraham,

In message <CANiE1qok5Z97JVU_bZD+k_BSzgJH5hxDvQKeVAH68AFca-qN+w at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > It is always wrong to use an absolute path name for CROSS_COMPILE.
> > You should use "CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-" and make sure your
> > PATH is set correctly.
>
> Actually, I also give the full path name when defining CROSS_COMPILER

Then you are also doing it incorrectly. Don't worry, you are not
alone ;-)

> variable. This is because I find myself juggling between different
> compilers, located in different locations for the same build (personal
> experimentation). Is there some dependency on the PATH variable that
> I'm missing? Or is this just convention?

Using a full path name is bad style, and there is actually no
guarantee that it will work correctly.

If you are dealing with multiple tool chains you should always set up
your PATH correctly; there are scripts available that will help doing
that for you (like "eldk-switch" [1] for our ELDK).

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/ELDK-5/WebHome#Section_1.8.3.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Well I don't see why I have to make one man  miserable  when  I  can
make so many men happy."              - Ellyn Mustard, about marriage