[U-Boot] U-Boot: Enhancement request to get flash device specific information

HEERA NAND BHAGTANI diamond.mbm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 19:05:45 CEST 2014

Hi U-boot team,

I am looking for u-boot command which can give me flash device specific
properties. For example, there should be dedicated commands to get the
flash memory size, sector size, page size etc.

Currently I found there is command "sf probe" for spi flash device which is
returning device properties into text format as below:
SF : Detected N25Q128A with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 64 KiB, total
16 MiB

Similarly I found there is command "nand info" for nand device which is
also returning device properties into text format.

These commands ("sf probe" and "nand info") are giving device information
in form of message. Which does not meet my requirement.

Actually I would like to integrate u-boot with my tool, where tool will run
u-boot command to get the device information. Based on device information
tool will react. Here I am looking for some dedicated command which return
these property separately. It is difficult to parse the message string to
get individual

Let say we includes following commands:
"nand info pagesize/sectorsize/size/device"
"sf info pagesize/sectorsize/size/device"

for example:
"nand info pagesize" command should return page size ( e.g. *256*)
"nand info sectorsize" command should return sector size (e.g. *65536*
 which is 64K)
"nand info size" command should return the total size (e.g.  *268435456 *which
is 16 MB)

Could you please consider this enhancement request in u-boot? Please
comment.

Regards,
Heera