[U-Boot] [U-boot] Does u-boot.bin only include a data section?

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Thu Jul 3 18:30:58 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 22 June 2014 20:31,  <TigerLiu at via-alliance.com> wrote:
> Hi, experts:
>
> I am studying u-boo.bin format(which is got from u-boot, an ELF format
> bin).
>
> I run the below command:
>
> Objdump -h -b binary -m arm u-boot.bin
>

> Found only a .data section was displayed.
>
> So , does u-boot.bin include only a .data section?

u-boot.bin does not really include sections - it is just a binary
file, not ELF format. It includes data from the .text, .data. and
.rodata sections among others. You are telling objdump that it is an
ARM binary file and asking it to print a list of sections. I suspect
it creates a .data section just for fun - there aren't really any
sections in the file. Of course if you examine the file you will see
the contents of .text, .data, .rodata etc. from the original ELF
format file, but the header information that distinguishes them is not
present in u-boot.bin.

Regards,
Simon