[U-Boot] [Question] Any plan to refactor Generic Board Framework?

Masahiro Yamada yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com
Wed Jul 9 09:43:27 CEST 2014

Hi Simon,

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 20:51:00 +1000
Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:

> > Is there any plan to fix them? When? By whom?
> >
> > (They include some old platform macros such as CONFIG_8xx.
> > Is it worth refactoring? If so, who will do it? )
> >

> > Besides, there are many 'TODO' marks.
> > But it seems nothing has happened so far...
> >

> > Now generic board is suppored in ARM, PPC, MIPS, Sandbox, ARC, x86.
> >
> > Accoding to doc/README.generic-board,
> > we are expecting the other architectures will support it before October.
> > I think we should start to do something now.
> >
> > If we keep going without any clean-up, I guess it will be messed up.
>
> The code is trying to duplicate the old board init without
> changing/breaking anything. So the #ifdefs are trying to duplicate
> those in the old board init code.

Thanks. I was missing this.
This verbatim dupulication makes it easy to switch to generic board,
in most cases, just by adding CONFIG_SYS_GENERIC_BOARD
although run-test is strongly recommended.

Then, we can clean-up code after removing arch/*/lib/board.c
(Maybe next year?)

Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada