[U-Boot] U-Boot: Enhancement request to get flash device specific information

HEERA NAND BHAGTANI diamond.mbm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 08:38:24 CEST 2014

Hi Simon,

This tool is basically using u-boot technology to communicating to remote
board. This tool is developed such a way that it can load u-boot elf on
remote processor (available on remote board). This tool communicates with
processor using u-boot commands. It can send the u-boot command, and can
read the u-boot output message.

I am avoiding to use regular expression to extract the information. It has
two reasons,
1) In future realise of u-boot if string format is changed, my regular
expression will fail. So I need to track the format change in this message.
2) It is possible that current message does not carry all informations of
Flash device. For example,this message does not specify the kind of spi
flash it is (dual or single). So we may need to enhance message to provide
flash type. So for any new property, we need to change this message and as
a result it would break scripts/tools for those people who have been used
regular expression on this message.

So here I am suggesting to have a dedicated flag in u-boot command for each
property of flash device. In future any new property would be needed, we
only need to add a new tag and it would work without breaking any existing
stuff for users.

As per my current requirement, I can make the changes in my local u-boot
source code and can bring these new flags which will work for me. Here I am
suggesting, if we can provide this is generic solution for everyone. I
believe, it would be quite helpful for those guys who would like to
integrate u-boot in their tools or scripts.

Regards,
Heera