[U-Boot] u-boot command for standalone application

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 24 20:09:36 CEST 2014

Dear swami91,

In message <1406212756535-184872.post at n7.nabble.com> you wrote:

> Is there any way of passing some data from outside of u-boot to u-boot
> without violating the GPL? Should the data be released as part of GPL? So if
> u-boot accesses some memory the content of that memory outside of its
> control should be released as GPL? Looks odd..

GPL is about code, not data.

You can invent any method you like to pass data.  Conventional methods
used so far ar:

- import environment settings (which can include scripts, or can be
  used in scripts) from files loaded into RAM;
- extract information from device tree blobs;
- extract information from images;
- just load a blob of data and use your own code to process it (like
  to load it as firmware into some peripheral);
etc.

The possibilities are only limited by your phantasy.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I can type faster than I can move a  mouse,  so  I  find  menu-driven
drawing packages time consuming and frustrating.      - W. R. Stevens