[U-Boot] Please pull u-boot-sunxi.git/master

Masahiro Yamada yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com
Thu Jul 31 10:23:57 CEST 2014

Hi Ian, Hans,

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 08:54:09 +0100
Ian Campbell <ijc at hellion.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-07-31 at 13:30 +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > Hi Tom, Albert, Hans,
> >

> > I am afraid we are going to be in trouble
> > with this pre-Kconfig based PR
> > because it includes various new boards.
>
> Yeah, I was wondering how this would work!
>
> > (We can fix the merge conflict,
> > but it is not trivial.)
> >

> > How this is going to work?
> >
> > Perhaps should we discard unmerged PRs and
> > get all the subsystem repos
> > synchronized with u-boot/master ?
> >

> > Or shall we break these boards once
> > and fix them in a follow-up patch ?
>
> Can you point us to the conversion script please?

Sure.

These are the conversion tools I used in my series:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/374412/
   for generating *_defconfig and Kconfig

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/374406/
   for generating MAINTAINERS

I assume you have boards.cfg on your local branch.

If you run 'tools/genkconfig' and 'tools/gen_maintainers.py',
*_defconfig, Kconfig, and MAINTAINERS will be generated
for all the boards listed in the boards.cfg file.

And then commit --amend the diffs of *_defconfig, Kconfig, MAINTAINERS.

> (I say "us/we" here but I'm actually about to get on a plain and be AFK
> for several days, so I guess I mean "Hans" ;-))
>
> With that script we could rebase onto the current branch base running
> the script at every step (including a new artificial step right before
> the top of the branch to pickup all the other boards) and commit --amend
> any new defconfigs which are produced.
>
> Then rebase the result of that onto the current master, ignoring
> conflicts in boards.cfg (i.e. just deleting it each time).
>
> The result should be a rebased tree where all the changes to boards.cfg
> are instead replicated in the appropriate defconfig.
>
> Does that sound workable?

Yes. Sounds good!
Thanks!

In you are in trouble, please feel free to ask questions.
I am happy to help you.

Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada