[U-Boot] [Patch v2] omap3: overo: Select fdtfile for expansion board

Stefan Herbrechtsmeier stefan at herbrechtsmeier.net
Tue Jun 10 20:06:34 CEST 2014

Am 10.06.2014 19:17, schrieb Ash Charles:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Stefan Herbrechtsmeier
> <stefan at herbrechtsmeier.net>  wrote:
>> Why you set the 'expansionname' to 'tobi' for unknown (maybe foreign)
>> expansion boards?
> 1. We need some sort of default otherwise people's boards that either
> don't have an eeprom or don't have board data set in the eeprom will
> stop booting.
But this cases are handled by GUMSTIX_NO_EEPROM. The default is used for
a programmed eeprom with an unknown vendor and device id.

>    Some Overo COMs don't have NAND therefore there is not
> a good mechansim for saving the environment.
You could use an environment file next to the u-boot image.

> 2. Tobi has been the default for ages and it is reasonable generic
> choice.  It is also the most common expansion board for Overo COMs out
> there.
Ok, but please use the GUMSTIX_NO_EEPROM case and leave the default
empty or at least check the vendor id. This allows foreign vendors to
use the upstream u-boot if they have an eeprom on there expansion board.

>>>                  break;
>>>          }
>> What happens if the eeprom is empty, no eeprom is available or the ETTUS
>> expansion board is present? In this case the expansionname is empty.
> I think 'expansionname' is set to 'tobi' in the default case of the
> switch statement.
I think you mixed the GUMSTIX_NO_EEPROM and default case.