[U-Boot] U-Boot, dm, ubi: struct device is declared twice

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Mon May 5 07:55:20 CEST 2014

Hello Simon,

Am 02.05.2014 16:29, schrieb Simon Glass:
> Hi,
>
> On 2 May 2014 01:16, Heiko Schocher<hs at denx.de>  wrote:
>> Hello Marek,

>>> In the ideal case, we should use the same struct device for both UBI and
>>> DM, but
>>

>> Yes, that was also my first thought ...
>>

>>> we cannot do that. Thus, renaming the DM struct device would be the best
>>> option
>>> for now.
>>

>> Ok. I prepare a patch for this.
>
> Linux also has struct device, so I wondered how it avoids this problem
> and took a look.

Yes, the MTD/UBI and UBIFS subsystem is Code from Linux and it uses
the linux "struct device". I wonder, how DM and UBI compile together.

Is this tried somewhere?

(As I see drivers/usb/musb-new uses also "struct device" ...)

> This header file seems like a special thing for U-Boot - I wonder if

Yes, it includes some missing defines, structs for the UBI Subsystem,
so we could use Linux Code ... but we have also "include/linux/compat.h
for this ... Maybe it is worth to delete this include/ubi_uboot.h
and move the missing symbols to include/linux/compat.h?

> it would be better to use #define at the top of the C file for the

Yes, I thought about this too ...

The UBI subsystem in U-Boot has defined "UBI_LINUX" instead of
"__UBOOT__" ... which surprised me too.

  maybe I prepare such a change (delete "UBI_LINUX" and use
"__UBOOT__") for the new sync with current Linux MTD/UBI and UBIFS
layer?

> compatibility stuff (#define device ubi_device) rather than modify dm?

Hmm... I can try this ... but I am not really happy to have
such a define.

> It does seem very strange to me, particularly as from what I can tell,
> struct device is just a cut down version of the Linux struct.

Wouldn;t it be better to move this to include/linux/device.h then?

Looking in U-Boot:include/dm/device.h "struct device":

struct device {
*        struct driver *driver;
*        const char *name;
*        void *platdata;
*        int of_offset;
         struct device *parent;
*        void *priv;
*        struct uclass *uclass;
*        void *uclass_priv;
*        struct list_head uclass_node;
*        struct list_head child_head;
*        struct list_head sibling_node;
*        uint32_t flags;
};

All "*" are different to current mainline linux or not in it ...
so I prefer first to rename the DM "struct device" into for example
"struct u_device" ... Maybe we can sync them once with the linux
"struct device"

bye,
Heiko