[U-Boot] U-Boot, dm, ubi: struct device is declared twice

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Mon May 5 19:17:07 CEST 2014

Hi Heiko,

On 4 May 2014 23:55, Heiko Schocher <hs at denx.de> wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> Am 02.05.2014 16:29, schrieb Simon Glass:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 2 May 2014 01:16, Heiko Schocher<hs at denx.de>  wrote:

>>> Yes, that was also my first thought ...

>>> Ok. I prepare a patch for this.
>>

>> Linux also has struct device, so I wondered how it avoids this problem
>> and took a look.
>

> Yes, the MTD/UBI and UBIFS subsystem is Code from Linux and it uses
> the linux "struct device". I wonder, how DM and UBI compile together.
>
> Is this tried somewhere?

Not yet, but it sounds like we are hitting the problem now.

> (As I see drivers/usb/musb-new uses also "struct device" ...)
>

>> This header file seems like a special thing for U-Boot - I wonder if
>

> Yes, it includes some missing defines, structs for the UBI Subsystem,
> so we could use Linux Code ... but we have also "include/linux/compat.h
> for this ... Maybe it is worth to delete this include/ubi_uboot.h
> and move the missing symbols to include/linux/compat.h?
>

>> it would be better to use #define at the top of the C file for the
>

> Yes, I thought about this too ...
>
> The UBI subsystem in U-Boot has defined "UBI_LINUX" instead of
> "__UBOOT__" ... which surprised me too.
>
>  maybe I prepare such a change (delete "UBI_LINUX" and use
> "__UBOOT__") for the new sync with current Linux MTD/UBI and UBIFS
> layer?
>

>> compatibility stuff (#define device ubi_device) rather than modify dm?
>

> Hmm... I can try this ... but I am not really happy to have
> such a define.

Me neither, but the justification is that we are trying to make
incompatible code work with minimal changes.

>> It does seem very strange to me, particularly as from what I can tell,
>> struct device is just a cut down version of the Linux struct.
>

> Wouldn;t it be better to move this to include/linux/device.h then?
>
> Looking in U-Boot:include/dm/device.h "struct device":
>
> struct device {
> *        struct driver *driver;
> *        const char *name;
> *        void *platdata;
> *        int of_offset;
>         struct device *parent;
> *        void *priv;
> *        struct uclass *uclass;
> *        void *uclass_priv;
> *        struct list_head uclass_node;
> *        struct list_head child_head;
> *        struct list_head sibling_node;
> *        uint32_t flags;
> };
>
> All "*" are different to current mainline linux or not in it ...
> so I prefer first to rename the DM "struct device" into for example
> "struct u_device" ... Maybe we can sync them once with the linux
> "struct device"

OK, I prefer not to do this, since we are renaming U-Boot files to
make Linux source work in the U-Boot tree. But this is not my decision
and it may be a more widespread problem in the future. So if you think
this is better, how about udevice? You will then need to rename all
the APIs.

Regards,
Simon