[U-Boot] Mainline u-boot on socfpga (SocKit) board

Chin Liang See clsee at altera.com
Thu May 8 12:28:42 CEST 2014

Hi Pavel,

On Wed, 2014-05-07 at 17:48 +0200, ZY - pavel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I know that mainline U-Boot SPL is quite far from working on
> socfpga... but would like to ask, what is the status of U-Boot
> proper. That should work on socfpga, right? Or are there some pieces
> missing?
>
> I tried
>
> commit 173d294b94cfec10063a5be40934d6d8fb7981ce
> Merge: 33b0f7b 870e0bd
> Author: Tom Rini <trini at ti.com>
> Date:   Tue May 6 14:55:45 2014 -0400
>
>     Merge branch 'serial' of git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot-microblaze
>
> and it just dies with no output.
>
> I'd really like to get something close to mainline working, so that I
> can generate patches etc.

The missing piece here is the SDRAM driver. This is a big piece as
U-boot require the SDRAM to run. As of now, I am enhancing the existing
SDRAM drivers to ensure its compliance with the coding standard.

But nevertheless, it poses another challenge when come to license. The
driver is currently licensed under BSD-3 clause. Wonder can we upstream
BSD-3 clause code? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chin Liang